With week 1 in the books, Maroon Report releases its first SEC Power rankings. Stay tuned each week for Daniel and Kyle’s picks along with a few notes.
- At the top we have Georgia and Auburn. Georgia already considered a contender, put together a dominating performance against #16 Clemson. Meanwhile, Auburn’s Jeremy Johnson was impressive during the first half while Nick Marshall served a half game suspension showing the nation that their offense isn’t based simply on one person.
- Texas A&M checks in at #3 after their rout of South Carolina. Kenny and the Jets put on a show while true freshman Armani Watts came up with the game sealing interception.
- The SEC West flexes their muscle as LSU, Bama, and Mississippi St. round out the top 6 giving the west division 5 of the top 6 teams ranked.
- Tennessee, Missouri, Ole Miss, and Kentucky all put together solid wins against lesser opponents. However, each team showed flaws along the way and should have trouble knocking off any of the top 5. Florida got a pass in week 1 having their game suspended, however they look forward to the warm and fuzzy eagles of Eastern Michigan in their first gridiron action this coming weekend.
- South Carolina and Arkansas started the season off with bad conference losses to Texas A&M and Auburn, respectively.
- And pulling up the rear is Vandy who got crushed to the tune of 37-7 by cellar-dweller Temple of the American conference. Derek Mason’s SEC debut drew comparisons to Mike Sherman’s Big12 debut in which the Aggies were embarrassed at home by Arkansas St in the 2008 season opener.
|Rank||Daniel’s Picks||Record||Kyle’s Picks||Record|
|3||Texas A&M||1-0||Texas A&M||1-0|
|6||Mississippi St.||1-0||Mississippi St||1-0|